httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: os.h
Date Thu, 25 Sep 1997 19:48:38 GMT
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> Why can't Configure set up os.h and os-inline.h properly?  I don't see the
> need for the Makefile to do it ... as an added bonus this would fix make
> -j.  (I can't help but use make -j ... all my machines are dual
> processor.)

The reason the makefile does this is because different platforms may
require different files to be copied/linked. For example, OS/2 may notr
have inline (I don't know if it does or not). But for example, if it
doesn't then there will be no os/emx/os-inline.c, so the os/emx/Makefile
will not copy it. If Configure does the copying/linking, then the file
would have to exist in all os abstraction directories. Also in the future
we might need additional header files for specific OSes, which can be
added burely by modifying the OS specific makefile, rather than hairing up
Configure with lots of OS specific code.

But if it needs changing, I won't object.

//pcs