httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: [STATUS] 1.3b1: Tue Sep 30 10:00:33 PDT 1997
Date Tue, 30 Sep 1997 19:51:00 GMT
On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, sameer wrote:

> 	I'm +1 on the 1.3b1 release Wednesday. There's really no
> reason to delay a beta past a feature freeze. If we're in freeze then
> we're in a feature freeze and we may as well put out a beta.

Except for the fact that some things are horrible broken and will
endlessly confuse people.

Remember, in the latter 1.2 betas people got into the idea that a beta is
good, "stable" (for some definition of stable), and nearly completed
software.  Little oopsies that cause four dozen releases in 1 day because
we keep messing up don't count.

1.3 isn't at that point.  Things like the new error logging code are not
ready for prime time.  "hey, that message is useless.  Oh, you need to
increase your LogLevel.  hey, those errnos being reported are stupid.  Oh,
you need to decrease you LogLevel."

I certainly wouldn't -1 a beta, but I can't support it.  Be sure you are
aware that this is a not-fully-ready-for-primetime beta.  Be sure you are
aware of the support hassles (note that few people here actually do
anything with the bug database; I do, people are morons and
documentation isn't going to stop all of them).

Unfortunately, I didn't yet get a chance to do things that I had hoped to
do in order to clear up some of these issues.  Sigh.  University, smoosh a
resume down to one page, university, sleep, work, university.  

> > Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > > 
> > > I still really think we should roll 1.3b1 tomorrow.  We can just include
> > > the known issues list or something. 
> > 
> > I think that a release on Thursday or Friday might be better
> > to make sure everyone has time to respond.
> > 
> > +1
> -- 
> Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-986-8770
> President					FAX:     510-986-8777
> C2Net

View raw message