httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: draft-faber-time-wait-avoidance-00.txt
Date Sun, 14 Sep 1997 17:13:08 GMT
On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Is relevent to us.  It also mentions a patch is available for Apache.

Mmm.  While the authors (well, I an only speak for one) know much more
than I do... I am concerned that they only briefly mention various server
side solutions to the problem that may completely work around it, and
their tests are done using SunOS 4.x which isn't the most modern operating
system.  BSDI's changes are quite effective, and there are other solutions
(similar to have BSDI does SYN flood attack prevention) which use minimal
state on the server and improve the algorithm to something better than
linear search.  You can store an obscene number of TIME_WAITs in a trivial
(compared to the memory required for normal server functioning at that
level) amount of memory.

Their HTTP solution would appear to add a RTT or two to the time required
to close a connection and it is not really commented on how to implement
it in a backwards compat. way.