httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: indent
Date Sun, 14 Sep 1997 06:44:38 GMT
On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >    IMHO we're not ready to run indent across the source yet.. at least
> >    not with the current .indent.pro (apachen/src/.indent.pro).
>
> I tested that with SUNWspro-3.0.1 indent.  The one on hyperreal is from
> BSD, which should probably be deleted and replaced with Gnu indent.
>
> In any case, running indent is *not* an automatic process.  It will
> normally screw up block comments that do not start in column 1, but
> you can avoid that by editing the file first and adding a "-".
> For example, replace
>
>     /* This is a
>      * nicely formatted
>      * block comment
>      */
>
> with
>
>     /*-This is a
>      * nicely formatted
>      * block comment
>      */
>
> and it won't reformat that comment (at least with the Sun version, there
> might be similar pitfalls/workaround with Gnuindent).  You can then go back
> afterword and remove the dash.

If at all possible, I would _really_ like it if we could leave the files
in a format that someone can run indent on them without changing a thing.
This is so that when people commit changes, they can run indent on them
first to keep the style consistent.  If indent will change other things,
it is quite difficult to keep consistent style in the future.

> We also need a status file to split up the effort and prevent multiple
> indents on a single file.  I'll commit one in a moment.
> Above all, only do one file at a time, don't fix any bugs until after
> the reformat has been committed, and make sure it compiles before then.

...and be triple sure that you don't have any other changes in your
repository that slip in with the format changes.