httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Using semaphore locking
Date Tue, 09 Sep 1997 00:11:54 GMT
On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > You are talking about two different things.  One is talking about semctl,
> > one shmctl.
> >

> Of course. Didn't I mention that? Yep. Sure did.

Erm... not really.  You responded to a semctl() man page quote on IPC_RMID
with saying that FreeBSD does something else, but you didn't mention you
were talking about talking about shmctl.  Everyone who is seeing that
IPC_RMID doesn't happen until the last reference is released is talking
about shmctl, while everyone saying it happens right away is talking about
semctl.

shmctl and semctl manipulate two different things.  I'm not sure what you
are suggesting to use shmctl for since we are dealing with semaphores not
shared memory...