httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/support apachectl
Date Fri, 05 Sep 1997 16:41:36 GMT
On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:
> > > Yes, good points. What I'd personally like to see is a top level Makefile
> > > where you do a "make" (or "make all") which builds the executable *and*
> > > processes the conf/*-dist files into conf/* files (i.e. without
> > > installing) (and optionally also post-process HTML, docs and man pages).
> >
> > You could split it into a "make preinstall" and a "make install", with a
> > "make" just listing the choices available.
> >
> > I'm just not convinced that people will all of a sudden start using an
> > install target (even if it doesn't actually copy the stuff) when for years
> > they have been doing it manually.  Not enough to -1 using @@ substitution,
> > but...
>
> Umm, maybe I'm on a limb here, but for a large software project like
> Apache I would expect it to have a clearly defined "make install" stage. I
> think the "run where it is built" model of NCSA was very wrong, and would
> really like to see it fixed in Apache at some point.

I agree, but fixing it must include a respect for how it has been; it is
very possible to fix it without breaking the old model.  using @@
substitutions breaks the old model.

That may be acceptable to some.  As I said, I won't veto it but I really
can't support it because I don't see the need to break the old to bring in
the new.