httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/support apachectl
Date Fri, 05 Sep 1997 15:39:16 GMT
On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > I'm still not convinced we should use special tokens as opposed to just
> > putting the default paths in the config files.  Since these are -dist
> > files, _any_ xxx path we put in them should be changed to yyy (where xxx
> > is the default directory and yyy is what the user picks).  If the user
> > messes with the -dist files and has trouble when things are replaced, that
> > is their problem.
> >
> > I am not convinced people who don't use the make install will figure it
> > out, and it just adds more unnecessary info to diffs between your config
> > files and the latest -dist ones if you install in the default directory.
>
> Yes, good points. What I'd personally like to see is a top level Makefile
> where you do a "make" (or "make all") which builds the executable *and*
> processes the conf/*-dist files into conf/* files (i.e. without
> installing) (and optionally also post-process HTML, docs and man pages).

You could split it into a "make preinstall" and a "make install", with a
"make" just listing the choices available.

I'm just not convinced that people will all of a sudden start using an
install target (even if it doesn't actually copy the stuff) when for years
they have been doing it manually.  Not enough to -1 using @@ substitution,
but...