httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/support apachectl
Date Fri, 05 Sep 1997 00:34:24 GMT
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, sameer wrote:

> > The default paths issue still has to be sorted out, but that is part of
> > a bigger project.
>
> 	So the only thing left to do is modify the docs, right?

For which?

To change the path used for the installed scripts we need to be sure
we have the same thing in:
	- the install script
	- httpd.h
	- all the docs, including README files and man pages
	- apachectl
	- suexec

this is all after we have an agreement on where it should be.

I agree that it would be nice to have a make install target.
I agree that /usr/local/etc/httpd is not appropriate for installing
all the crap.
I agree that some people won't like whatever we use.
I do not want to scatter things all over the filesystem, although
perhaps we should install binaries into a dir likely to be
in someone's path.

I am leaning towards /usr/local/apache like Sameer supports, but am
not yet convinced.  I don't like it, but can't find anything
better.  /var/www would be another option, except too many systems
don't have /var or have a very small /var.