httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: [BUG] 1.3 not closing socket on NT
Date Tue, 02 Sep 1997 18:39:49 GMT
On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Giovanni Maruzzelli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've not seen a fix for this annoying bug, so, this is the way
> to reproduce it:
>
> You can connect from Netscape or lynx from a Unix box
> to an Apache NT box.
>
> The sockets on the NT side remains in TIME_WAIT state.

I don't understand the problem.  That is a feature.

[...]
> So, it seems to that is something to do with the lingering
> options to setsockopt, or with the shutdown of the socket.
>
> Actually the sockets remains in the TIME_WAIT status for
> 4 minutes and something, but I don't think the solution
> can be to modificate the NT registry entering a new entry
> to bypass the defaults (as in the Microsoft KB article mentioned).
>
> I have not tools to analyze deeply wat happens at the protocol level...
>
> This is indeed a big problem, 'cause a few hundred connection can freeze
> the server....

Erm.. then NT is a broken pile of crap.  TIME_WAIT is a normal
state, it should exist, it is critical to the proper implementation
of TCP.  Microsoft has this broken idea that things should send
RSTs to terminate connections to avoid TIME_WAIT, but that is bogus.