httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: http://www.apache.org/ "Not Acceptable" ! (fwd)
Date Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:07:54 GMT
Odd.  Perhaps related to:

HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET=iso-8859-1,*,utf-8
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE=en-GB,en,de,fr

Is a '*' in the middle of the list valid?

In any case, Brian has changed the config on the server so I can' test...

I'm not a content negotiation type person anyway.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 11:25:00 +0200 (METDST)
From: "Alan J. Flavell" <flavell@mail.cern.ch>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Subject: Re: http://www.apache.org/ "Not Acceptable" !

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> What was the approximate time and date of the request and what IP
> address were you coming from?

I had seen it a few hours before posting that article, but I hadn't
investigated further until I decided to compose that posting.  Then I
tried several different times, and posted the article soon after.
So that would seem to put the time at around 21:00GMT/UTC (23:00 CERN
"summer" time).

Yesterday evening UK time, calling address would be a5.ph.gla.ac.uk
Client would be:
  USER_AGENT=Mozilla/4.01 [en] (Win95; I) via Harvest Cache version 1.4pl2

or I also tried Lynx 2.7.  However, I now realise that both would
have been working via the same cache (which of course is rather old
software!).

> Was it something that you could reproduce by doing a reload?

At the time, "yes".  I tried reload, and I'm sure that would punch
through our cache proxy to the actual server. However, (mea culpa) I did
not have the sense to try turning off the proxy and trying direct.

This morning in response to your email I just tried again - the
problem seems to have gone away.

[Apologies for the split personality - I work in Glasgow most of
the time but their usenet feed is so poor that I do my usenetting
via my account in CERN.]

Here's a report from the NCSA test-env if it's any use (line-fold is
an artifact of pasting)

GATEWAY_INTERFACE=CGI/1.1
HTTP_ACCEPT=image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET=iso-8859-1,*,utf-8
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE=en-GB,en,de,fr
HTTP_HOST=hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu
HTTP_PROXY_CONNECTION=Keep-Alive
HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/4.01 [en] (Win95; I) via Harvest Cache version
1.4pl2
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
QUERY_STRING=
REMOTE_ADDR=194.36.1.167