httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: indent, line splitting?
Date Tue, 16 Sep 1997 00:51:58 GMT
>Oh yeah, and one more gotcha to watch out for:  It doesn't understand
>mismatched {} caused by #ifdef grunginess.  i.e. there used to be code
>in http_main.c:
>
>#ifdef MPE
>    if (blah blah blah) {
>	if (bluh bluh bluh) {
>#else
>    if (feh foh fee) {
>#endif
>	whatever;
>    }
>#ifdef MPE
>    }
>#endif
>
>It got really confused by that.

Yep, same thing was in http_request.c, so I fixed the code and committed
the fix before running indent.  The above is certainly legal C, but I
consider it totally unreadable; I'd rather just duplicate the shared code.

We definitely need to hand edit a file after it has been indent'd.
I spent about two hours per non-header file doing that the other night,
but that was mostly because I think the core files need extra attention
to readability.

....Roy