httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: this 1.3b1 fiasco
Date Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:50:41 GMT
    Bloody hell.  I get sucked into a day-long emergency meeting, and
    when I finally get back to my mail the world has headed for the
    nether regions at Ludicrous Speed.

    Right, well, I'm going to reset on this.  To clear the air, I
    herewith withdraw my standing veto until we're evenly keeled again
    and in agreement on things.

    Jim, are you really stepping down as 1.3 release manager?  That
    would be a shame, to say the least.  If you're serious, will you
    reconsider?

    Dean, are you really going to stop doing feature work?  That, too,
    would be something I'd like to avoid at all costs.  Likewise, will
    you reconsider?

    I can't be sure without checking the archives, but I'm virtually
    certain Dean got a variance to submit the reliable-log patch as a
    post-freeze feature.  (I wanted the same for my IndexFormat feature,
    but I don't think anyone actually said yes [unlike Dean's] - but at
    least no-one said "no".)  If it wasn't overt, it certainly was
    understood - or someone should have contradicted him long since.
    Since no-one did, it should stand as read.  It seems to me that
    regular voting would apply once he submitted the patch - whereas
    other features submitted after freeze shouldn't even get that far.

    In other news, it seems to me that the release manager has the
    authority to define the freeze date and per-case approve exceptions.
    (Dean's patch was pre-approved, so this doesn't apply.)  If he
    doesn't have this authority, it's a pointless job.

    I've been at least as bad as anyone else when it comes to trying to
    sneak in features; Jim woke me up.

    So what stands in the way of our rolling 1.3b1?  As far as I can
    recall, commitment of Dean's reliable-logs patch and whatever issues
    Ben/Paul/Alexei consider showstoppers for Win32.  Running stuff
    through indent?  Anything else?  If not, can we agree to do it?

    I still think we should open another repository so additional
    feature work can continue.  After the indenting, of course.

    #ken    P-)}