httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: whatever you say, something has to be done about make install
Date Wed, 10 Sep 1997 20:53:26 GMT
>From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
>
>Regardless of if you want to stop adding features two weeks ago, the make
>install issue needs to be resolved.  Right now there is a makefile that
>installs into /usr/local/apache and a distribution that expects everything
>in /usr/local/etc/httpd.  They do not fit together.  Saying that it cna't
>be changed doesn't make sense.

    So either the current mismatch is considered a bug and fixed, or the
    "install" target comes out.  I would prefer the former if it can be
    done before Alexei, Ben, and whomever says the Win32 stuff is ready
    for 1.3b1.  I do not consider it an important enough feature to hold
    the beta for it, though, if the original raison d'etre for 1.3 is
    ready.

    If we keep the target, then yes, everything needs to be in sync.  My
    US$.02 is to use MSVs like "@@ServerRoot@@" and have Configure edit
    them appropriately.  Make the default be a line in Configuration,
    but allow overriding by "./Configure --install-target=<dir>" or
    whatever.  No interactive questions.  MHO.

    #ken    P-)}