httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: CVS updating of apache.org website
Date Tue, 02 Sep 1997 11:00:29 GMT
>From the fingers of Dean Gaudet flowed the following:
>
>The cvs module named "apache" is a dead end, it shouldn't be used going
>forward.  Right now it's only used for 1.2 development.

    +1

>apachen should become apache-1.3 (or apache_1.3, doesn't matter to me)

    Erm, I would prefer to see it become "apache" after the current
    "apache" gets renamed.

>apache should be copied to apache-1.2 (apache_1.2) and have some tree
>    surgery applied to it so that 1.2 is the HEAD (I have no idea right
>    now how to do this)

    +1

>Going forward we create apache-X.Y as appropriate ...
>
>How's that sound?

    Like more religion. ;->  Seriously, I remember this coming up when
    we were doing the 1.2 branching.  Some people were very strongly in
    favour of branching instead of making a separate module/repository,
    and others were less violently in favour of the latter.  After being
    burnt by the branching Shinola, I was in the second group, but now
    that I have a glimmering of what's going on I think I prefer the
    first (although I wish CVS would get fixed and make the bloody tags
    sticky!).

    I think it make sense to create a new major source module only for
    significant upheavals, like the structure reorg.  As long as we keep
    the current directory structure, I think we should keep using the
    same module for 1.3, 2.0, ...

    Just my US$.02

    #ken    P-)}