httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: [Fwd: mod_browser/1081: BrowserMatch variables not working in nested include files]
Date Mon, 01 Sep 1997 14:13:48 GMT
>From the fingers of Ben Laurie flowed the following:
>
>Jim Chou wrote:
>>
>> >Number:         1081
>> >Category:       mod_browser
>> >Synopsis:       BrowserMatch variables not working in nested include files
>> >Fix:
>> I guess this could be fixed by making browser_match always set variables in
>> r->main->subprocess_env if there is an r->main, but it seemed easier just
>> to move the handler to the header parser phase.
>>
>> Was there a reason it was moved from the header parser phase to the filename
>> translation phase in 1.2.4? (or somewhere between 1.2.0 and 1.2.4)?
>
>Good question. Was there?

    Yes.  I forget the actual reason, but Dean was the perpetrator.  The
    parse_header phase wasn't early enough for some reason, because the
    translation would have already been performed.  Dean worked around
    it by moving into the translation phase for 1.2.*, but in 1.3 a new
    phase (post_read_request) was inserted in front of translation in
    order to take care of this and future related issues.

    It sounds like the real problem is the management of the
    envariables, anyway.  I'll take a look at it if Dean doesn't beat me
    to it (he's got to brush those Burning Man embers off first.. ;-)

    #ken    :-)}