httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: BUG: force-response-1.0 and /bin/sh CGI (fwd)
Date Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:48:39 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Comments?
>
> Is it valid for a shell to whine about an environment variable that
> isn't a valid shell variable?

I suppose it is valid, but stupid.

> Should we do a '-' to '_' translation like we do for http request
> headers?

Sigh. For back compatibility, we'll have to allow the user to set either
form and check for them both.

> Note that the two Bourne shells I've tried (bash and FreeBSD /bin/sh)
> don't have problems (set a bogus variable in addition to the
> right one, but still work).

Pretty clearly the vast majority don't or we'd have seen this ages ago.
I'd say we should simply tell the user to get a shell that works
properly. Or patch his copy of Apache.

> Oh, guess I better decode it in case some of you can't read base64...
> isn't MS great?

Wonderful :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org