httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/os/win32 ApacheOS.dsp ApacheOS.mak os.c os.h
Date Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:00:29 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Paul Sutton wrote:
> > > This project/makefile also copies the required header(s)
> > >   (currently just os.h) to src/main, so must be build *before* any other
> > >   project/makefile.
> >
> > Yech. Bleuch. Spit.
> Erm, it's normal procedure on multiple-directory source projects to have
> the top level build do some initial setting up before the sub-directories
> are called. For example, setting up the correct OS environment.
> Unfortunately Win32 (or MSVC++) makes multiple directory environments
> difficult to manage in an open way (while maintaining the ability to use
> the IDE).

I'm not sure what you think MSVC++ makes difficult to manage, but having
header files in a different directory isn't it.

> Anyway, what's wrong with the OS specific makefile copying the required OS
> specific makefile into the headers directory (which at the moment is
> src/main, but in the future it could be a separate directory such as
> src/headers). The Unix OS makefile now does this as well. It used to by
> done by Configure but of course that does not work on Win32.

What is wrong with it is that I right click on '#include "os.h"' to open
os.h, and it opens the wrong one. Or I browse to a function defined in
os.h, or...

What's wrong with having it already in the right directory, and with an
appropriate name? Or in a different directory, and still called "os.h"?

Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|
and Technical Director|Email: |Apache-SSL author
A.L. Digital Ltd,     |
London, England.      |"Apache: TDG"

View raw message