httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/os/win32 ApacheOS.dsp ApacheOS.mak os.c os.h
Date Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:48:58 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Paul Sutton wrote:
> > >
> > > pcs         97/09/12 01:03:52
> > >
> > >   Added:       src/os/win32 ApacheOS.dsp ApacheOS.mak os.c os.h
> > >   Log:
> > >   Add ApacheOS project to build the OS abstraction libary (in DLL form)
> > >   for Win32 systems.
> >
> > Why do it as a DLL, rather than simply linking it in?
>
> Mainly so that if we ever update htpasswd for windows, or any other
> windows support programs, they can use the same compatability library
> without having to statically link the library into each program.
>
> Oh and also so that the modules (like mod_status) can link against the
> import library, rather than statically linking in ApacheOS to *every*
> apache module and wasting runtime memory.
>
> Is there some problem with it being a DLL?

If there's a good reason, no - otherwise it is obviously more of a
hassle.

There used to be a performance hit for DLLs, but I'm not sure there is
anymore (except at startup, of course).

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org