httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: OS abstraction, inlining functions
Date Thu, 04 Sep 1997 19:17:52 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> Here is a patch which adds support for OS specific "inline" functions.
> These lets use abstract "small" functionality such as
> ap_is_path_absolute() without the overhead of a system call (at least with
> GCC) and without side-effects.

I presume you mean "function call", not "system call". But this isn't a
very good example, as it can be done with a #define, and thus avoid the
overhead on non-inlining compilers.

> One question: should we call the abstraction functions ap_XXX() or
> os_XXX(). Previously ap_XXX() has been used throughout (ap_signal,
> ap_select etc). Now os_canonical_filename has been added. Shouldn't that
> be renamed ap_canonical_filname?

Actually, the os_ notation predates the ap_ notation - it was introduced
way back for os_escape_path (or whatever it is called).

ap_ is for functions that replace standard ones, os_ is for OS specific
functions (that may do different things on different platforms).

So, ap_is_path_absolute should be os_is_path_absolute.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org