httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Elizabeth Mattijsen <...@xxLINK.nl>
Subject Re: graceful restarts & log file rotation again
Date Mon, 08 Sep 1997 23:55:52 GMT
At 13:03 8-09-97 -0700, Brian wrote:
>So my question is, why did the httpd children still have an fd to an old
>logfile?  This was at 12:30pm, 12 1/2 hours after the last logfile
>rotation.  It seems like the old descriptors are not being closed; yet
>there weren't any programs in "G" stage before I did the kill -HUP.  Any
>ideas?

I guess this has come up before, but just in case it hasn't: wouldn't it be
an idea to pass on the fd of the new logfile to the children when a
graceful restart has been requested?  This would ensure that log entries of
children in the "G" stage would be written to the correct log no matter how
long it would take to complete the request.

Elizabeth Mattijsen
xxLINK Internet Services