httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip A. Prindeville" <phil...@enteka.com>
Subject Re: Proxy bug?
Date Tue, 30 Sep 1997 19:05:27 GMT
> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 19:29:12 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Marc Slemko <marcs@worldgate.com>
> To: new-httpd@apache.org
> Subject: Re: Proxy bug?

> Apache doesn't take the reported size of the file and translate it into a
> Content-Length.  It could.  It already does a SIZE on the file, but you
> would have to change it to do something other than throw away the size
> returned (it only looks at the status code) and then use it later.

> Grr.

> The proxy sends:

> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 01:18:54 GMT

> as a response to a ftp proxy request.  This means it is sending an
> unchunked response without Content-Length or Connection: close.

> That whole section is an ugly hack.  Perhaps the best thing is to just
> replace SERVER_PROTOCOL with either a PROXY_SERVER_PROTOCOL or an explicit
> HTTP/1.0.  It is easy enough to add a Connection: close, but I wonder if
> it is worthwhile or if there may be other 1.1 problems.  The proxy is in
> never-never land there...

Is it worth opening up a bug report?  I really like having a good
estimate of how much longer a download is going to take (I can figure
out if I have time to go to the men's room *and* the soda machine or
just one of the two ;-).  Maybe some courageous lad (or lassie) will
undertake to fix this "feature".

It sounds to me like a one liner, but I'm probably being naive.

-Philip