httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Starting over..
Date Sat, 13 Sep 1997 03:44:50 GMT
>     Okey, let's start over.
>
>     Jim, will you pretty-please put your 1.3 RM hat back on?
>
>     How about this for a schedule:
>
>     12 Sep  Dean's patches committed
>     12 Sep  name-that-log patch committed
>     12 Sep  ETag patch committed
>     13 Sep  run indent across everything
>     <BRRR>freeze</BRRR>, waiting for Ben/Alexei/Paul to say "Win32 is
>     go for 1.3b1"
>     15 Sep  Roll 1.3b1, people start verifying it internally
>     17 Sep  Release 1.3b1, start fixing bugs reported against it
>     17 Sep  Duplicate apachen into apache2, open 2.0 for feature work
>     27 Sep  Release 1.3b2
>     11 Oct  Release 1.3b3 (1.3.0 candidate)
>      1 Nov  Release 1.3.0
>
>     Aggressive, yes - but isn't there general agreement 1.2 took Too
>     Long?  So maybe 1.3 will have some warts, and we'll need to do a
>     1.3.[1-9] - what of it?  Let's get this sucker *out* there!
>
>     #ken    P-)}

With exception of the dates set for beta and general releases
beyond 1.3b1, this looks fine. It is foolish to set dates for
Betas. Beta releases are dependent on reported bugs. (as I am sure
you know)

Yes, 1.2 took a long time. HOWEVER, every day was worth it since
there were significant and important changes made right up through
the final betas. As others have pointed out, we are not a
commercial project. We do not depend on timely releases for our
livelihood.   __We depend on solid releases.__