httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: new logs and errno
Date Sat, 13 Sep 1997 03:24:28 GMT
> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > I am somewhat concerned about the way some log messages are handled with
> > the new logs.  Specifically, those that used to call log_unixerr.  For
> > those it can be _critical_ that errno is included because that is 99% of
> > the message.  Right now, that doesn't happen unless the logging level is
> > set high enough.
> >
> > Other messages will have completely misleading errnos in them because it
> > doesn't have any meaning in that context.
> >

> Some examples:

[painful examples deleted]

> People already think everything in the error log is an error.  Having
> it labelled as an error isn't going to help that.

If you are referring to the '[error]' label, that is really only an
indicator of the level that the message is logged for. Makes it
very nice when managing 100's of server error logs. I can easily
strip out the stuff that is not my problem.

> Same here:

[more nonsense deleted]

> and an irrelevant errno is:
>
> [Fri Sep 12 20:48:13 1997] [notice] 4: Interrupted system call: http_main.c: 342
> 6: httpd: caught SIGTERM, shutting down
>
> My suggestion would be to re-examine the idea of having multiple logging
> calls.  You can still have something similar to log_unixerr that can still
> be called.  You may even be able to get away with just making it a macro.
> In any case, it can use the same backend as aplog_error.

I'll look at this. There was gross inconsistency in the use of the
logging functions previous, and it led to pretty messy log format
IMO. If I can come up with a way that could provide this info (when
needed) in a consitant format, I would be all for it.

> I do like the new format, but this does need to be resolved.

Agreed. I'll try to come up with something before the beta.

> Oh, did you ever think of having some way to make the logging format
> configurable similar to mod_log_config but far more limited?  What I am
> mainly thinking of is some way to include a virtualhost name in the
> messages logged by Apache...

Actually considered finding a way to make mod_log_config generic
for all logging. Looked messy at best. Good idea though. Would help
with the file descriptor shortages.