httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip A. Prindeville" <phil...@enteka.com>
Subject Re: a page about apache performance
Date Fri, 12 Sep 1997 00:20:10 GMT
Hmmm...  I'm not sure I agree with the bit about "Good choices include
recent ... Solaris."  I still find the Solaris 2.5.1 TCP (even with
patches) to be severely broken.  They don't properly implement Karn's
algorithm, where in the case of packets being lost you are supposed to
integrate exponential back-off in the place of the most recent ACK's
round-trip time (since you never got the ACK, you don't have its RTT).

This causes really bad WAN performance, and in some cases can cause
pathological collapse of the network for short periods of time (up to
a couple of minutes).

There is a good article on this in "Software Practice & Experience"
by Scott Dawson, et al.  I don't know if it is in the current edition
or not (since I got it pre-press).

-Philip