httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Paths
Date Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:43:06 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:
> Because on Unix to reconfigure Apache you have to recompile it.  The goal
> should be to install it so that the user can trash the distribution and
> only have to use the installed stuff for the rest of their life.  Apache
> has a lot more things that have to be configured at compile time as
> opposed to run time.  I like that (although a working dynamic module thing
> would be nice), but it means there is more of a reason to install the
> source.

I think we may want to think about this... I really don't see
a major reason that would drive one to want or need to blow away
the distribution, esp when patches and things like that may be
with respect to the distribution itself (maybe). Not only that,
but having source located with the executable and stuff is
just, no my mind, ugly :)

      Jim Jagielski            |       jaguNET Access Services           |