httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Paths
Date Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:22:34 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> This doesn't allow for the configuration of everything.  eg. log files,
> PID file, etc.

Do we want that? Most of these are relative to HTTPD_ROOT anyway.
I can't see bothering with a complete compile-time change of
everything that's configurable with the ./conf files. The whole
idea of 'make install', I thought, was to allow a simple installation
at a standard location. Otherwise Configure needs to parse all the
conf stuff, both in the distribution as well as where HTTPD_ROOT
is set to and mangle the paths.

IMO it's something like BIND/named... The installation places the
binaries where they need to go but it still depends on named.boot
to configuration everything else. In other words, 'make install'
fills /usr/local/apache (or whereever) but people will still need
to edit the conf files, if only for ServerName and/or ServerAdmin