httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: whatever you say, something has to be done about make install
Date Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:03:52 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Regardless of if you want to stop adding features two weeks ago, the make
> install issue needs to be resolved.  Right now there is a makefile that
> installs into /usr/local/apache and a distribution that expects everything
> in /usr/local/etc/httpd.  They do not fit together.  Saying that it cna't
> be changed doesn't make sense.
>
> I am not sure I can advocate a make install that puts everything in
> /usr/local/etc/httpd.  That means we need to change the directory
> structure and make the makefile smarter.  Some people say we can't do
> that.  That means we have to remove the Makefile.
>
> Status quo is not an option.

Yeah, this is wrong. IMO as long we make sure that it's clear
that, as far as the default is concerned, /usr/local/etc/httpd
is no longer it and the new path is /usr/local/apache, I say
we fix the distribution. I had reversed by +1 because it
didn't seem like anyone was really worried about the effects
of the change, although it's a pretty bug deal. There's nothing
wrong with big deals, just big surprises though.

+1 iff the docs are adjusted and this new default is clearly
   indicated.