httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Whither 1.3? Patches, feature freeze, etc...
Date Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:21:33 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > What is so bad about saying, right now, we focus on getting 1.3.0
> > out the door. What we'll be working on will be bug fixes, so the
> > "features in waiting" will not require major rework to get folded
> > in. Once 1.3.0 is out, we can add these goodies to 1.3.1b1 and
> > work on that. Otherwise we are virtually guaranteed that it'll
> > be Christmas and we'll still be working on 1.3b17 or whatever.
>
> And what, exactly, is so bad about that? It's not as if we're releasing
> commercial software here. We have no paying customers to support, who
> want the security of a "final" release. If it takes us until 1.3b17 to
> get 1.3 right, so be it.

If it's to get thing right, then it's no big deal. If it's
because we just keep adding stuff to each little beta, as we
did with 1.2 then I think it _is_ bad. Is anyone really and
truly happy with how long it took to get 1.2 out?

> We haven't released any 1.3 beta yet (except 1.3a1, of course), the
> features we're considering are relatively small, and IMHO should go in
> now. 1.3.1 is a bad place to put new features, because it does break a
> real "final" release. 1.4 is a bad idea in general, because it will give
> people the will to write lots of new features, and 2.0 will *never* get
> done.

So you're guessing that once 1.3 is out, people will suddenly
stop wanting to add new features to Apache? The only reason why
1.4 would be a bad idea is because we lack the will and the force
to say "1.4 will be 1.3 with patches X, Y and Z only".