httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Whither 1.3? Patches, feature freeze, etc...
Date Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:00:44 GMT
Randy Terbush wrote:

> I agree with this in principal and to giving the NT work as much
> slack as necessary to produce a solid product. HOWEVER, minor
> releases are for bug fixes. Not feature enhancements. 1.2 has
> suffered slightly from this and I do not think that it is a good
> idea to hold out 1.3.1 as the target for new features. We should be
> working hard on 2.0 by then.

Nope. Won't happen. We'll get 1.3.0 out and then they'll be ways
of making it better and adding neat stuff and the 2.0 stuff will
be going slow so we'll start adding it to 1.3 and then releasing
1.4 and saying that's it, no more until 2.0 but then 2.0 will
_still_ be lagging and we'll get 1.5 out.... etc :)

> Given that many of us are sitting on our hands WRT the NT changes,
> if there is time between now and a first beta candidate, I see no
> reason not to add features that have group support. Now is the time
> since we have yet to release a beta. After b1 is not the time.

During this time, "sitting on our hands" couldn't we be designing
the 2.0 API. Discussing our options about that? Maybe generating
a schedule?

Say we fold Dean and Ken's patches in. Then what? Do we call a
freeze then? Nope, since we need the OS abstration stuff as well.
During that time _someone_ will have some other stuff to add.
We all know that. We'll be playing around with the code, thinking
of neat new things and, by golly, coding it up. We'll propose it
to the group and say something like "I know we're in feature freeze
but this really helps out and fixes some behavior that could be considered
a bug and it's really minor so we should add it" so we'll shuffle our
feet, people will vote +1 and 1.3.0 will get shifted even later
downstream.

I don't think _anyone_ can say that there were NO new features added
betwen 1.2b1 and 1.2b-final :)