httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Whither 1.3? Patches, feature freeze, etc...
Date Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:19:42 GMT
> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > My piped log patch can wait for 1.3b2.  My scoreboard fixes patch (fixes
> > bugs I introduced during the 1.3 alpha dev cycle) can also wait for 1.3b2
> > ... back a month ago I asked for an exception to get the piped logs thing
> > in after the freeze.  We can't propose new features for 1.3.1 ... unless
> > you define piped logs as a bug fix (I can easily see this :).
> >

> Why _can't_ we add new features for 1.3.1? Because it's a sub-minor-#
> upgrade?
>
> In any case, adding new features for 1.3b2 goes against my main
> point of getting 1.3.0 out asap. What I'd like to see is 1.3b1
> out, some _bug_ reports come in, we fix those, release 1.3b2, we
> get the all-clear and then release 1.3.0. By NOT introducing
> new features during the beta releases we can assure ourselves that
> 1.3.0 gets out soon. As soon as 1.3.0 is out, we can work on 1.3.1b1
> which adds new features. If we want to call it 1.4 well....
> I don't see that. I don't think everytime we add a new feature
> we need to up the minor version number (for X.Y.Z I call 'X' the
> major number, 'Y' the minor and 'Z' the sub-minor... We've
> never really considered it, officially, a "patch" level) but
> this is all details. Someone once said that language/English is
> our servant, not our master. We can make the version number mean
> whatever we want.
>
> Nonetheless, it is high-time for 1.3.0 to be out. The only way
> to do this in the near future is for someone to dig their heels
> in and say no more new features, otherwise we run into a continual
> beta-release->add-stuff->test-in->another-beta-release cycle.
> --

The only new features in question are Dean and Ken's changes. I
know we have offered some slack for Dean and it appears that Ken is
ready to commit. Let's do it and go. The "Feature Freeze" is
premature in my opinion. It was aimed at freezing so that we could
release a beta. The beta release has been moved back, thus the
freeze should also be moved back to the first beta.