httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Whither 1.3? Patches, feature freeze, etc...
Date Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:42:24 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> My piped log patch can wait for 1.3b2.  My scoreboard fixes patch (fixes
> bugs I introduced during the 1.3 alpha dev cycle) can also wait for 1.3b2
> ... back a month ago I asked for an exception to get the piped logs thing
> in after the freeze.  We can't propose new features for 1.3.1 ... unless
> you define piped logs as a bug fix (I can easily see this :).

Why _can't_ we add new features for 1.3.1? Because it's a sub-minor-#
upgrade?

In any case, adding new features for 1.3b2 goes against my main
point of getting 1.3.0 out asap. What I'd like to see is 1.3b1
out, some _bug_ reports come in, we fix those, release 1.3b2, we
get the all-clear and then release 1.3.0. By NOT introducing
new features during the beta releases we can assure ourselves that
1.3.0 gets out soon. As soon as 1.3.0 is out, we can work on 1.3.1b1
which adds new features. If we want to call it 1.4 well....
I don't see that. I don't think everytime we add a new feature
we need to up the minor version number (for X.Y.Z I call 'X' the
major number, 'Y' the minor and 'Z' the sub-minor... We've
never really considered it, officially, a "patch" level) but
this is all details. Someone once said that language/English is
our servant, not our master. We can make the version number mean
whatever we want.

Nonetheless, it is high-time for 1.3.0 to be out. The only way
to do this in the near future is for someone to dig their heels
in and say no more new features, otherwise we run into a continual
beta-release->add-stuff->test-in->another-beta-release cycle.