httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: Log file: allow strftime parameters?
Date Tue, 09 Sep 1997 18:55:41 GMT
On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 05:29:19PM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> > Right, I remember the CERN server had this feature, and I *liked* it!
> > No hassle with scripts which have to do rotation - all done by the server.
>
> ... by contrast, I hated it. I didn't like the way it presumed to know
> when I wanted my logfiles rotated.

If I remember correctly, it really didn't rotate it automatically. You
still had to send it y SIGHUP if/when you wanted the rotation. The time
stamp was just the starting date. But the server COULD DO IT, if you had
a need for it. But Apache can't. That's why I find the suggestion positive,
because it allows you to do something easily (albeit suboptimal),
or to do it "the optimal" way (even if requiring more programming), whichever
you prefer.

    Martin