httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: general/1056: USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT is no use. (fwd)
Date Mon, 08 Sep 1997 12:47:12 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Grr.  He is right.  Now I recall why I hate flock().  It references
> vnodes, not descriptors.
>
> ...which really makes _no_ sense once you start trying to figure out
> what they mean by a "file".  Replace "file" with "vnode" and it becomes
> much clearer.
>
> So we have to do something along the lines of what is suggested in
> PR#1056.  I am not convinced that the exact patch given will work,
> right because we create the lockfile as the user that starts Apache
> in mode 644, then try to open it for writing as the user Apache
> runs as.
>
> I am confused about what I am seeing with the current code, though,
> since it seems to work.

Hrm... It seems that it's dependent on how flock is implemented
internally. In any case, it sounds like this is an issue that
should be looked at. I don't see any real fixes right now, since
it looks like parent and child needs to be able to create the
lockfile and we specifically _don't_ want that :/