httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip A. Prindeville" <>
Subject Re: [BUG] 1.3 not closing socket on NT
Date Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:15:59 GMT
	I've made some tracing with tcpdump -vv.

	They seems to show that the problem is originated by the fact that
	windoz clients (netscape 3 on win95) reset the socket after
	acknoledging a FIN, versus Unix clients (Lynx 2.6) that after
	acknoledging a FIN send another FIN..

Actually, one FIN is being sent in either direction with the same
sequence number as the last byte of data sent, which is the correct
behaviour.  RSTing a socket is definitely *not* the right thing to
do.  This is broken behaviour.  Complain loudly to Netscape.  I'm
surprised that a client even has that much control over the
connection.  Under UNIX a process has to terminate without closing
the socket properly to cause a RST (e.g. coredump, etc).

Unless this is what Microsoft does in the O.S. as a normal close
(i.e. "graceful disconnection").  No....  it can't be that broken.

[ traces deleted ]

View raw message