httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip A. Prindeville" <phil...@enteka.com>
Subject Re: [STATUS] 1.3b1 Tue Sep 2 19:10:39 EDT 1997
Date Wed, 03 Sep 1997 00:58:47 GMT
	Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 17:20:51 -0700 (PDT)
	From: Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>
	To: new-httpd@apache.org
	Subject: Re: [STATUS] 1.3b1 Tue Sep  2 19:10:39 EDT 1997

	On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

	> A couple of questions about the mod_speling [sic] -- first, are you
	> all trying to be ironic by misspelling that?  And secondly, how

	I think it was more sarcastic than ironic (given that it didn't actually
	fix spelling originally, just capitalization), but yes, I was attempting
	to be in some way "clever" when I named the module. :)

	As for the algorithm actually being used to do the spell-checking, my
	understanding is that is character-based, and doesn't actually know what
	those characters are. In other words, it looks at the bytes that
	represent two strings (one of them the requested URL, the other a
	filename on the disk), and checks to see if they are "similar" (have
	transposed/deleted/added/changed characters).

	I don't think it knows anything about the English language.

OK.  The point I was trying to make (though not very well) is that
even when you order operations, such as a transposition is less
"costly" than a deletion, which is less costly than an addition,
which is in turn less costly than a substitution, you've already
made some assumptions about the structure of a language (i.e. that
it does or doesn't have digrams like "ch", "ss", "ij", "ae", etc).

	-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>

-Philip