httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Apache 1.2.4 - hardwired accept lock location (fwd)
Date Sun, 31 Aug 1997 12:06:54 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 12:21:18 +0100 (BST)
From: WWW server manager <webadm@info.cam.ac.uk>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: Apache 1.2.4 - hardwired accept lock location

In Apache 1.2.4 (and probably earlier versions, but I hadn't tripped over
the problem), httpd.h defines DEFAULT_LOCKFILE as logs/accept.lock, but it
appears to be more than a default - I cannot see any way to override it;
there should be a configuration option to specify the location of this file
rather than assuming that some particular directory will exist and allow
file creation.

Since my servers' log directories are *not* positioned under the server root
directory, this resulted in Apache startup failure and the consequent need
either to edit httpd.h, or to create a server-writable directory within a
part of the chroot environment which was not intended to include anything
writable by the server.

[This problem was encountered when setting up Apache on a SPARCserver
running Solaris 2.5]

                                John Line
--
University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)
Send general WWW-related enquiries to webmaster@ucs.cam.ac.uk