httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Media Daily (fwd)
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 22:34:06 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 05:04:14 +0100
From: Col Needham <cn@imdb.com>
To: cn@PCUG.CO.UK
Subject: Media Daily

   [1][LINK]
   [2]Media Daily [3]Promo Expo 97

   [4][LINK][5][LINK][6][LINK][7][LINK][8][LINK][9][LINK]

   _Aug. 21 1997
   Vol. 5 - No. 164_ _[10]Media Daily Archive
   [11]More News_

  Clarification: Apache, Indeed, the Server Market Leader

   A rash of reader responses wondered where the popular Apache server
   software figured in our 8/11/97 story "Netscape Maintains Market
   Share"
   ([44]http://www.mediacentral.com/Magazines/MediaDaily/Archive/19970811
   02.html/634827).

   When we wrote that Netscape held 85% of the server market, we cited
   the just-released 1996 numbers from Zona Research
   ([45]http://www.zona.com), and noted that those numbers were based on
   revenue. We failed to clarify that these figures did not represent the
   installed base.

   Since many server licenses -- perhaps most notably those of Apache and
   Microsoft -- are free, Netscape is in many ways, in a category by
   itself. Netscape managed to pull in some $77 million in revenue from
   server software licenses, against Microsoft's $7.5 million and none
   from Apache.

   Similarly, we stated that, based on revenue, Netscape is solidly
   beating Microsoft in the e-mail server market, where Netscape holds a
   50% share, against Microsoft's 18% and Lotus's 4%. Again, these
   numbers ignore the widespread distribution and installed base of free
   software.

   When it comes to surveying the installed base, a recent survey by
   Netcraft ([46]http://www.netcraft.com/survey/) sheds some light on the
   current market shares. Netcraft's survey of 1.2 million sites notes
   that Apache maintains a commanding lead, weighing in at some 43%, of
   the servers surveyed, up just over .5% from July. That's compared to
   Microsoft's estimated 17.7% and Netscape's 11.8 % of surveyed sites.