httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: apachen - 3rd-party modules
Date Tue, 12 Aug 1997 19:36:07 GMT
On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> >From the fingers of Alexei Kosut flowed the following:
> >
> >Can someone please explain something to me: I've checked out apachen. I
> >have a module file (mod_foo.c, say) that I've obtained from
> >somewhere. How the heck do I get it to compile with Apache?
> >
> >The only way I've been able to figure out how to do it, short of creating
> >its own Makefile and such, is to put it into modules/standard. Not my
> >idea of the correct thing to do. And hardly easy to figure out.
>
>     My understanding is that the canonical procedure is to
>
>      1. Create a modules/foo directory.
>      2. Populate it with mod_foo.c (and any other source/include files).
>      3. Create a modules/foo/Makefile that knows the dependencies
>         (especially the include files from ../../core).
>      4. Insert an "AddModule modules/foo/mod_foo.o" into Configuration.

This is how I did it with mod_perl, although m_p has always wanted to
live in modules/perl/ and has its own Makefile.

>     I don't see any other way of doing it, short of an immense effort on
>     the part of Configure or its ilk to figure out the dependencies -

mod_perl depended on ../../core and ../../regex

Since there's a limitted number of ../../dirs, how safe is it to call
modules/foo/Makefile with -I flags for all the bundled dirs ?

>     and even that couldn't work on a multi-source module like the proxy.
>
>     Hand-assembling the Makefile seems unavoidable.

If it's only the module author/maintainer that needs to do this once
then it's no big deal.