httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: I/O filter API
Date Tue, 26 Aug 1997 08:10:59 GMT
The only problem with layering, regardless of what we use ... is keeping
the memory to memory copies to a minimum.  It doesn't bother me a whole
lot if the dynamic/filtered paths involve copies (this is almost by
definition) ... but I want to be sure the static path remains copyless.
This means we will probably want a writev() equivalent in the API since
writev() is instrumental in pushing copies into the kernel (where they
typically have to happen anyhow).

I'm still unconvinced of the unportability of SFIO... I think it degrades
-- doesn't implement as many features if the necessary underlying stuff
isn't there.  But I don't know for sure.

Dean