httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: virtual hosts in 1.3
Date Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:08:41 GMT
I guess you could summarize my position as:  I want the creation of
name-vhosts to be explicit.  I don't want surprises that occur because an
ip you thought was ip-vhosts only is suddenly turned into a name-vhost ip.
I want this explicitness because the potential for misdirected hits seems
far too high.

And you could also say that I'm too tired of the code and it's someone
else's turn to work on it because stuff that seems wrong to me might just
be because I'm too close to the problem.

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> That is to say:  because that is not what the code does.  That is not what
> the code ever did.  Therefore I did not carry that "feature" along when I
> did the most recent revamp.
> I repeat:  I think this is a desirable feature.
> I repeat:  This is not at all what 1.1, or 1.2 did.  You just thought it
> did because you got the phase of the moon correct.
> I repeat:  This is not a feature in the current 1.3 code.
> I repeat:  Properly doing this, and properly making all the interactions
> between ip addresses, server names, port numbers, and all that crap
> obvious to the user, and simple to explain, does not seem possible with
> our current config language.  Unless someone can show otherwise, I dunno.
> I repeat:  I personally think that transparent conversions of
> <VirtualHosts> from ip-based to name-based is wrong, broken, and
> non-intuitive.  Most of the problems we have reported now relate to the
> fact that anything with the same ip as the main server is transparently
> converted to a virtualhost.
> Honestly, Alexei's first implementation of this using <HostAlias>es would
> have been far less confusing I think, but still insufficient.  I don't
> think it is correct for the server to serve a hit from a vhost which does
> not have an ip address matching the request.
> Dean
> On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >
> > > I guess I still don't understand why name-based vhosts can't be configured
> > > on non-main addresses.
> >
> > Because.
> >
> > Dean

View raw message