httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: virtual hosts in 1.3
Date Tue, 26 Aug 1997 03:48:34 GMT
That is to say:  because that is not what the code does.  That is not what
the code ever did.  Therefore I did not carry that "feature" along when I
did the most recent revamp.

I repeat:  I think this is a desirable feature.

I repeat:  This is not at all what 1.1, or 1.2 did.  You just thought it
did because you got the phase of the moon correct.

I repeat:  This is not a feature in the current 1.3 code.

I repeat:  Properly doing this, and properly making all the interactions
between ip addresses, server names, port numbers, and all that crap
obvious to the user, and simple to explain, does not seem possible with
our current config language.  Unless someone can show otherwise, I dunno.

I repeat:  I personally think that transparent conversions of
<VirtualHosts> from ip-based to name-based is wrong, broken, and
non-intuitive.  Most of the problems we have reported now relate to the
fact that anything with the same ip as the main server is transparently
converted to a virtualhost.

Honestly, Alexei's first implementation of this using <HostAlias>es would
have been far less confusing I think, but still insufficient.  I don't
think it is correct for the server to serve a hit from a vhost which does
not have an ip address matching the request.

Dean