httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: SymLinksIfGroupMatch
Date Tue, 26 Aug 1997 01:36:53 GMT
I don't like this... and this is one case where I advocate more
directives.  Options is legacy, and already has cross-module hacks
(Options Indexes).  Modules really do have to define their own directory
merger and directives.

If all they want is a boolean and no other per-dir configs then it should
be trivial to provide generic functions that give that functionality.

Not to mention that checking a bit is far faster than checking a string
... we're already string-checking heavy because of all the table_get()s
just to check for various env-vars and headers.

What is missing is a method of modules controlling the access to their
directives.  There is a need to control access to more than just bitfield
options... and your solution only handles bitfield options.

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > FWIW I just ran into a situation where I would find such an option useful.
> > I have a docroot which is writable by a group of people, and they just put
> > in a symlink for which the target is the same group ... and now my server
> > won't serve the page because I'm only using SymLinksIfOwnerMatch.  So I
> > wouldn't mind adding the group feature ;)
> On a related issue... I've often thought it would be nice if the
> Options directive was extensible by modules. Right now, if a module
> wants to set up a per-dir configuration that involves something like a
> directory option, they have to create a per-dir config, add in the
> directive handler, merger, etc... For modules which don't already have
> directives, this is additional hassle and bloat
> For example, it has come up that one might want status reports to only
> be allowed to be sent by the main server conf, so someone couldn't use
> AddHandler in their .htaccess file to send server status. I think this
> was solved another way (though I may be wrong), but it seems to me
> this might be an interesting way of doing it:
> Allow Options to be given arbitrary text strings, which it stores in
> an array. It takes care of merging, etc... Then mod_status' handler
> can just call rcheckoption("Status"), to see if that option has been
> set in the current directory. If not, it won't send the status
> report. That way, unless AllowOverrides Options has been enabled, you
> can't generate status reports unless the server admin explictly adds
> "Options Status" to the directory.
> One problem with this is that it would reduce the capacity for Options
> to do error checking, unless you set up some way of registering
> Options strings.
> But I think it's an interesting idea.
> -- Alexei Kosut <>

View raw message