httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject re: this is depressing
Date Sun, 24 Aug 1997 01:09:52 GMT
I think I figured out part of the cause.  I put last_vtime and last_rtime
into the short_score structure.  This is in shared memory ... and
those two fields are heavily updated by the parent during scoreboard
maintenance.  This causes heavy L1/L2 cache pressure because those writes
are write through rather than write back.  If I move those two fields
to a static structure only accessible by the parent then I get 412 r/s
w/maintenance and 424 r/s w/o maintenance.

This is still on a 5s maintenance interval.  On a 1s interval it gets 398
r/s.  So it's still expensive.  Grr.

Dean