httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Rename SetEnvIf* to RequestMatch* ?
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:25:24 GMT

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> >     Are you exercising a veto, or just registering disapproval?
>
> Not a vetoed, but a note that the decision should be based on the outcome
> of majority voting rather than a "lazy vote".

I will veto then.  -1 on RequestMatch.  The name is meaningless.
HeaderMatch is more meaningful but does not cover all of the uses of
SetEnvIf.  Even SetEnvMatch sounds pretty bad because I have no idea what
it would be matching.  The name SetEnvIf sounds just perfect to me, at
least it says "an environment variable will be set if some conditional is
true".

There is absolutely no reason to stick the word Match into everything that
uses regexps.  Otherwise you're going to have to do ludicrous things like
RewriteMatch and RewriteCondMatch.  And suppose that mod_access allowed
regexps for domain matches, then you'd have "allow frommatch" or other
such nonsense.  I don't even see the need for DirectoryMatch, FilesMatch,
and LocationMatch.

I didn't even see the need for AliasMatch and RedirectMatch that started
this whole nonsense -- that functionality already existed in mod_rewrite.
If users find it hard to use mod_rewrite then that is a documentation bug
and not need for Yet Another Directive.  mod_rewrite documentation is long
and complex, but the simple jobs it can do are the most common jobs people
would want it for, and it could use a lightweight introduction with simple
examples.

Dean