httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: OS abstraction
Date Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:00:55 GMT

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> complex than this, and Dean has suggested we use inlineable functions
> rather than complex and possibly side-effect causing macros.

Where possible, inline would be great.  The difficulty with inline is
when you need to include the code in headers, and you need to also provide
a version which is not inlined... and you want the two to be the same.
How grossed out would people be if we had stuff like:

foo.h:

extern int inline wakka_wakka (request_req *r);
#ifndef inline
#include "foo_inline.c"
#else

foo_inline.c:
int inline wakka_wakka (request_req *r)
{
    woo!
}

foo.c:
#include "foo.h"

#ifdef inline
#include "foo_inline.c"
#endif

?

(Recall that inline is defined to nothing if the compiler doesn't support
inlining ... hence the #ifdefs up there.)

Specifically I suspect foo is mostly going to be one of the os-dependant
files.

Dean