httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [BUG] 1.3a2: mod_status sometimes displays garbage in [SS] column
Date Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:08:24 GMT
Yeah I know about this one ... you're seeing an artifact of the time
optimization.  It just means that the parent has yet to notice that child
advancing in vtime (virtual time = something which goes forward when the
child makes progess, i.e. update_child_status, or any timeout change). I'm
just deciding on the best way to fix it.

You see, the child no longer maintains its last_update_time (or whatever
it's called) field because setting that field was like 7 or 8 time() calls
per request.  The parent now maintains that field, and it only updates it
every SCOREBOARD_MAINTENANCE_INTERVAL (1 sec default).

I'm also seeing some weird scoreboard maintenance effects ... nothing
fatal, but something that I definately need to fix in one of the betas. In
particular it does the maintenance far more than once per
SCOREBOARD_MAINTENANCE_INTERVAL if there are lots of children dying.

Any of you 1.3 users seeing the "server seems busy, spawning 4 children
(you may need to increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers)" warnings?
I get them occasionally... I think it's a little too sensitive.

Dean