httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Question about *bsd platforms
Date Wed, 20 Aug 1997 01:23:02 GMT
Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD/BSD* are the three different worlds of common
TCP/IP implementations.  Nearly everyone has a BSD-based stack.  Linux has
their own stack.  Solaris 2.x has a brand new stack ... and 2.6 brings
major changes to it.

So "Ideally, its TCP would behave like Solaris's" isn't gonna happen...
besides, unless you're talking about Solaris 2.6 then you don't want it to
behave like Solaris.  Even Linux's relatively young stack is better than
pre 2.6.

FreeBSD's stack is the oldest/stablest.  Linux' is still going through a
performance overhaul, with almost all known bugs worked out (the goal was
to outperform Sun's ISS suite... it seems to have matched it at least).

Alan Cox of linux-fame does a lot of radio work.  Post this question again
on linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu (a majordomo list).  There's probably a
FreeBSD counterpart.

Dean