httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: PR#1014 (request for Content-Location output header field)
Date Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:43:18 GMT
I personally consider index.html to be an artifact of the implementation.
When you ask for /foo/ you're asking for the directory object, not the
/foo/index.html object.  That the two are (sometimes) the same is really
just an implmentation detail.  That's why I don't agree with this.

Again, /foo/ is also an implementation detail ...

You see I don't like clients to know anything about the details behind the
scenes ... because otherwise someone, somewhere will bookmark it or href
it and you'll be stuck with that url or a redirect for it for eternity.

Or, worse, crud like /index.html.cgi ... files which actually exist on
hotwired because they have to maintain some old /index.html links and the
file is now served by CGI.  So multiviews does the work.

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     Oh, I don't know - I think this request is reasonable.  It would
>     conceivably allow someone who got a French version of a document to
>     point someone else to it who *didn't* have French in his language
>     list.
>     I think this should be limited to documents that were *really*
>     negotiated.  Pseudo-negotiated documents (e.g., IndexFile files)
>     should be explicitly immune.
>     #ken    :-)}

View raw message