httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Keep it simple
Date Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:38:33 GMT
One little warning here... as documented in stopping.html, log file
rotation and SIGUSR1 aren't friendly with each other.  Since there still
exist children that have the log open, and a rotator has no way to know
when they're done.  I use a 20 minute delay in my USR1 rotation scripts.

Two ways around this include reliable piped logs, and log file locking.
The latter is pretty easy to implement -- all log files are flock()d in
shared mode.  The log rotator tries to lock exclusive.  It'll get the lock
when all the old children have exited.  If someone wants to implement
this, go for it.

Dean