httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Future of configuration
Date Mon, 18 Aug 1997 17:26:16 GMT
A month or so ago Doug and I were talking about the functions he needed
from the core to implement the perl config funkiness.  I think we agreed
that if we could change the configuration code to read from a callback
instead of just from a file that he could do everything he needed.  This
is actually very easy to implement (even as a stop-gap before SFIO in 2.0)
because all configuration code passes around a pseudo-global cmd_parms.

It would be trivial to add another two fields to that to put in a callback
with arbitrary void *data pointer.  Then only one or two places need to
know about the callback.

This is a desirable change for mod_perl because it would mean mod_perl
needs access to fewer of the core functions.  It could be used to
implement some other config mechanisms ... but I doubt it could be used to
do SNMP.  SNMP mgmt seems like a hard thing to integrate into apache.

With the way config works in present day apache it is possible to do it
only at start/restart time.  snmp and telnet interfaces would seem really
hard to retrofit... I'm assuming you want to do something while it's live
and running.  And some of the optimizations I mumble about (and have
implemented already) involve doing pre-calculations at config time to save
time in the critical path.  It'd suck to have to redo these calculations
(and respawn all the children) with every line entered in a telnet window
:)  Or maybe I'm confused by what you want.

Dean